Becca Turner Photography
Paul Inskip Photography
Louise Limb Photography
Shot In Digital
Other Club's Events




Pennine once again ran their annual, and, I might add, the original Point to Point, now in its 5th year. The weather seems to alter every year and this year it was the turn of the good weather, silly sun hats and sunburn were the order of the day! There is no truth in the rumour that the disappearing transmitter mast has anything to do with Pennine scrap hunters (I think!)


Spectators outnumbered competitors by about 2 to 1, brought out no

doubt by the lovely weather, and 7 teams finally lined up for the start at the

bottom of the hill, actually only 6 teams lined up, no-one told the 7th team

and they were stood at the top of the hill, wondering where everyone was

racing off to.


Our only 'foreign' team from P&D were soon in trouble with a broken

steering arm. Harold Carman, Tom Boydell and Ray Haddock retired very

early, leaving the other 6 teams to fight for the honour of winning one of

the supersonic trophies.


The land was in fine fettle and it wasn't long (approx 50 seconds) be-

fore the carnage began in earnest. Bill Leacock's earthy tones carried across

the breadth of the field, urging his wayward team members to greater and

more impossible tasks, as they slowly sank into the seemingly bottomless bog.

lan Bartram had 2 new team members, as his faithful Pennine partner had

broken his footsie playing football of all things! (and they say Motor Sport

is dangerous!!) The Rochdale mob,led by Dickimus Day, had a distinct advantage in that they speak the local language, which can be very useful when speaking to the local marshalls. Eddie Bentham, Alan Preston and Neil Spencer (complete with ace No 1 repaint job) never seemed to get into quite so much of a panic as everyone else, in fact I'm sure they got back early so they could get to the pub quicker. That just left the Sagar's and George Carruthers partnership, who set off like a dog down a rabbit hole and kept that style all day.'


For my own motley team, it was the first time ever that Melanie has ever done as I've told her, trouble was I'd got it wrong again and David suffered the con sequence on his roof (any other time she'd have done the exact opposite as I said!!)


At lunchtime there was quite a bit of repairing and team swapping going

on (everybody else wife swaps, we always do everything in style!), while

Malcolm did his usual roaring trade with the club shop. New ropes for old,

new ropes for old.


The afternoon was much the same as the morning, except perhaps the

pace had slowed down just a little, Bill was still in fine voice and Dave Sim

rolled it again just to keep his hand in. At the final whistle there were still

two dead Landies in the bottom of the field, with Hadrian Drake, the Land

owner, rubbing his hands and invoking the old motto 'What isn't shifted by

dark is mine!' Several motors stayed with them and sweated and heaved the back to the Tarmac road. Neil Millington and Dave Hoskins were responsible for running the event, so any law suits can be addressed to them!


Thanks as always to the marshalls, although in this particular case they

ought to be thankful to us for providing them with so much enjoyment when

they were sunbathing, package holidays to the Costa Lot have nothing like

you know.


As a postscript to this event I received a letter from Alan Jeffery of

Warrington. On an engine note he concurs with Bill Leacock that the Perkins 4.203 is the best diesel to fit to a Land Rover (he has one in his LWB Safari and also one of the easiest. One trick he's learned is that the original radiator can stay in if it is leaned forward, he also prefers the diffs to stay at the normal ratio. With overdrive this gives a top speed of 63mph but the engine is never strained.

However! He also gives his account of his first ever event, which just

happened to be Windy Hill! (Somewhat similar to learning to swim in a pool

full of Pirhana!)

I will print his missive as sent.


Alan Jeffery


I have been a Pennine Club member for approximately 18 months, in

which time I have enjoyed being non-active. I have been to spectate at the

odd meeting and been to the odd social event until one fateful day I decide

to enter an event and of all events I chose Windy Hill. What follows is-my

own account of my first time.


I was one of the first to arrive at Windy Hill just behind the famous

Dicky Day. I told him this was my first time and an evil grin spread across

his face, but after he passed my Land Rover on scrutineering I thought


"What a nice man."


I stood around on my own waiting for someone to team up with, when

a gang of lads from Accrington came up to me. Once we got over the lan-

guage barrier we agreed to make up a team. My only instruction was to

follow them and give it "plenty of welly" and was reassured by the fact that

this event was "worst ot lot". Whilst waiting for the off it was notices that

my ancient Land Rover was fitted with a new Carb and people came from

miles around just to look in amazement, I was treated like a millionaire. After a wait like sitting in a dentist's chair, we were off. I just followed the bloke in front until my guide told me to stop. The first Land Rover went into the gate, the second went to tow him out while I watched. First attempt his

towing hitch set the altitude record, second attempt off came part of his roll

bar. I was reassured that this is the worst event of the lot. I went round to

tow the Land Rover out, the rope was fixed, I shot off like mad "bang"! I

was still in one piece and the other Land Rover unhitched, feeling very proud

I turned about to go through the gate myself, somehow I got in it sideways??

Don't worry we'll get you out, after about six really hard tugs out it came

along with 1/2 ton of muck. Shouts of "we've bent yer bumper a bit, but

that's nowt" made me decide to inspect, first event - first gate - chassis bro-

ken near front spring hanger. I carried on with the madness until lunch break,

no further damage. Unfortunately at lunch time my two partners had the

sense to call it a day and I had the misfortune to team up with Bill Leacock.

We went through a couple ot gates like clockwork, then the brakes failed. A

voice booms out "where's that daft —— going?" Honest!! I couldn't stop.

After adjusting the handbrake I carried on and completed a couple more

gates and then broke the other side of the chassis, the front axle moved so

far forward I separated the prop shaft. Still going on two wheel drive, tyres

rubbing the front wings, 1 decided to get smart and pack in. I drove to the

furthest corner of the course and the engine gives up the ghost. Then fol-

lowed 2 hours hard slog to get me off the course. Bill Leacock doing the

lion's share together with the Accrington gang. Many thanks for all the hard

work they put in. Despite the damage I really enjoyed the day and was especially impressed by the friendliness of the club.


I eventually got the Land Rover back on the trailer and was the very

last to leave. It was indeed a long day.

P.S. The cause of the engine failure was:-




Alan Jeffery



Hosted by Yorkshire Rover Owners Club at Harewood

(now known as Haremud) House. The advantages of a 'local' National event should be obvious, especially as things turned out that particular week. Even if you were resigned to paying silly prices for petrol it didn't always mean you'd get the chance!


Luckily it kept no-one away and the event was well attended from the

whole country with of course the Pennine having the biggest competitive contingent (large contingents is a peculiarity unique to Pennine members!) On arrival at Harewood I collected my folder etc and received a 6 foot long ARC Chairman sign for my caravan. Sneakily I hid it in the Land Rover hoping no Pennine members would see it. I hadn't gone two yards when this husky Rochdale whisper reverberated across the site at 90 decibels plus, 'What's that sign you've got Brian?' I made a mental note to strangle Dicky Day at some time in the near future and slunk off to follow the little man guiding me to my site, where my courage returned, and eventually the dreaded sign was erected in a prominent position. No-one at the National meeting could understand when I went pale at the mention of these signs, they all thought it was a good idea. Norman Barrett, Secretary of the ARC, liked the idea, all the Yorkshire committee members thought it was a good idea, so did I till I remembered I was a Pennine member, then I started trembling!


Within seconds the news had travelled round the Pennine sector and

organised tours were coming round to look at 'Artley's sign amidst giggles,

gales of laughter and many corny cracks. However, back to the National, the weather was already starting to look a bit threatening, but Dicky had just driven past with a large pint of dubious colour which he pronounced to be 'reight ale' so everything was OK for the first day. It only rained a little that night, but the beer tent didn't leak and all the Pennine were sited next to it, so they didn't have far to walk. Damned considerate that I thought.


Saturday was the Gymkhana, Concourse and .Team Recovery and the

first day it rained proper. Chairman Millington entered his newly painted S11 in the Concourse, well I thought he'd entered it, but he reckons he just parked it where everyone else was parking the posh motors. The Gymkhana required 4 wheel drive and great skill by the afternoon as the ground was by this time wearing a top coat of slurry, however the Team Recovery in the morning was the exact opposite, both sections being passable to the determined! It did however provide the usual amount of amusement for the spectators with the antics of over-enthusiastic drivers and ropes that always seemed to be just 2 inches too short. Not too successful an event for the Pennine, especially as we had 12 of the 23 entries, mind you, no-one told us that in order to be one of the winners you had to have a team consisting of two people with the same name!


First Team were the Sagar twins in a time of 1min 11secs, Second were the Beever brothers for Yorkshire with 1min 12secs and Third were the two

Boydells with a time of 1min 19secs, Now that's what I call a close result!!!

Despite not being related Paul Bradbu'v and Duncan Smith were 4th and

lan Bartram and Steve Houldsworth were 5th.

In the Gymkhana Jonathan Oldfield was 2nd with Michael Challoner 3rd,

while Heath Smith took 3rd prize in the LWB section, in a Series 1 at that

...... and still it persistently rained ...... and still the beer tent didn't



Sunday and still it rained, by some freak it stopped early and remained

dry for the whole of the trial, only to start again the moment the trial had

finished, talk about luck! The ground conditions did spoil the trial, but never-

theless everyone got stuck in with a vengeance and our better than usual performance in this event was, I think, due to the fact that we were wallowing in what everyone knows is Pennine's favourite sort of conditions . . . MUD!

Michael Chaloner, who tries not to enter any of the rough events, rolled his

S11 on one of the sections, right in front of the wife, who was spectating. . .

he had tongue and cold shoulder for the rest of the National!! (Actually the

biggest upset for him was when he found out that we no longer give out

roll-over stickers!)


Everyone else managed to keep their wheels returning to earth apart from

one of the Beevers, who was just a bit too enthusiastic with his Light weight

on one of the sections, we had him back upright so quick that he damn near didn't get penalised for stopping!


Squelching round the camp site after the trial was a real eye opener. Ted

Hartley and Raymond Sagar were both busily replacing rear diffs (if it was run as a competition I reckon these two would have a good chance of being among the winners), while further away there was a Standard lightweight also having its axle interfered with .... good game, good game!


Ken Campbell took 2nd in the LWB RR class with his Rangey and a

score of 63. Raymond Sagar was first in the Specials S11 class with 74. Steve Houldsworth, Dave Rae and lan Bartram took 1st, 2nd and 3rd respectively in the Specials Series 1 and Lightweight class with scores of 58, 86 and 86. In the 80 Specials class Melanie got a 3rd with 51 points (which also made her the top scoring Pennine entry in the trial). In the Standard Series 2 class Howard Leahy in his Diesel proved that although he doesn't come quite as often he hasn't forgotten the technique and you don't need petrol power to win! He took 3rd S 11 with 73, I got 2nd with 69. Actually he would've had first, but he got penalised for smoking on a section. I was going to complain that Steve Parker hadn't been penalised for smoking on a section, when I found out that it was for smoking a cigarette, not for a smoking engine! (serves him right! Terrible habit, it's almost .as bad as joining Pennine every year and nearly as bad for your health!) Paul Dewhirst got a well deserved 3rd in the Standard Lightweight class with 69. Nineteen trophies and we took nine, which can't be bad, the rain did have some use after all.


Because of the ground conditions all vehicle movement had been stopped

on the site, albeit a little late, a definite case of locking the stable door! This

didn't stop Pennine lads and lasses looking forward to the Comp Safari, which was definitely going to be in our favour with the weather conditions as they were. The beer tent was by this time at ankle depth, which was great when you'd had a few, as it anchored you down nicely! Sunday night turned out to be a birthday celebration for someone, trouble is I can't remember who!!


To return momentarily to the by now famous ARC Chairman sign. I re-

turned from the trial to find a well made sign stuck in the mud outside my

caravan, on it were the immortal words 'Brian Hartley, ARC Chairman and

Socialist PUNK Rocker' along with a Harold Wilson gannex mac that looked as if it had had 6 years hard work 'flashing' to all and sundry in the parks and back streets of Britain. 'How kind' I thought 'someone has left me a rain coat during this inclement weather' and being a grateful chap I donned the coat only to find that it had magic powers. Within seconds I found myself hurtling round caravans, whipping open the raincoat and shouting 'Ya Boo sucks' to people choking on great lumps of lettuce leaf. Luckily the madness soon passed and I've managed to secure all the negatives!


All I remember about the Sunday morning is my re-incarnation to the

sound of rain drumming on the roof yet again. One eye half opened, I drew

the curtain. 'Ohmigod' what a sight, lan Bartram, Steve Houldsworth and

associated loonies were stood in the pouring rain just outside my window, I

blinked, then bravely opened both eyes as they went into an obviously well

rehearsed routine.3


lan: 'Kapitan, we have something strange on the Earth scanner'

Steve: 'What is it?'

lan: 'It .is the Pennine Land Rover Club'

Steve: 'What do they do?'

lan: 'They take their Metal Machines ............

They drive them over rough ground .............

Then they smash them all to bits ................

Whole group then convulse themselves with mechanical


Steve: 'What do you make of this?'

lan: 'There is no intelligent IJfe on Earth!'


This was 9-30 on a soggy Bank Holiday Monday remember and this lot

were existing in a tent that was in danger of being engulfed by a mud slide,

is this the quality that put the Great in Britain I thought, what fortitude,

what guts, what the hell ...... so I rolled over and went back to sleep!

Later we were all treated to a trip round the Comp Safari course, just

before the Estate Manager put the mockers on the whole event and sent everyone packing, mind you getting back out of the field was nearly as much fun as the Comp Safari would have been!


The prize giving was held in the large marquee, still showing signs of the previous night's revelries, and the prizes were handed out by Mr. Tom Barton, Chief Engineer with Land Rover since the very first one rolled off the production line some 29 years ago. Again I would like to thank the Pennine for the support I received. What with Hair donor cards, my own sign and mac I felt like a real V!P, I hope you support the Association of Rover Clubs in the same way whenever you can. I am convinced it's the only way to keep the sport growing and healthy and also to eventually get over some of the rules and regs problems that seem to beset all inter club events.


Those of us who have had dealings with running of large events will, I

know, have great sympathy with the YROC over the weather, they didn't get it all right, but they put in an awful lot of hard graft to make it as good as

possible and I think the majority of those there appreciated it. With that it

only remained to conquer the final obstacle, ie leave the field, and it was all

over for another year. See you next year at Surrey???

Why not send me your account of the National? Several first timers were

there, Dick Schaffer for one, go on force yourself!





Trust us to hold our first long distance weekend event in the middle of a

petrol price and availability crises. Only Pennine could get the timing as close as that! We fully expected a nominal turn out of motors. As it was we had 7 teams in the recovery, and 24 entries in the trial. Very satisfying. The

weather was excellent for what felt like the first time this year!


We arrived at about 7.45 Friday night, sticking the infamous PLRC sign

up as we travelled, and were therefore somewhat perplexed to find Chris

Chesters waiting at the gate for us. How he found it without arrows I don't

know, next time I'll let him arrow the way in for us! Almost as if by magic

within 20 seconds of pulling up there were 4 outfits pulled in behind us.

The caravan site was reached via a 50 yard trail through the wood, whi

opened up into a field completely screened round the perimeter by trees. They gave us complete privacy and a quiet, idyllic-setting, very much in contrast to our usual venues. There were about 30 outfits in the field. I use the term 'outfit' loosely, in other Rover clubs the word outfit means Land Rover and Caravan, in the Pennine it can mean anything from a caravan to a horse box from a frame tent to Alan Panter's wagon sheet and car trailer, or even 2 Land Rovers reversed up to each other with tail boards down and a polythene she tied over the gap. Increases in petrol prices bring out the inventive streak in Pennine members!

The whole wood and quarry is something of a nature reserve, with all

manners of wild life including badgers, deer, rabbits, Rochdale Members, and I even caught a glimpse of a lesser spotted hairy backed Tarmac Terrier, who is an extremely rare species.


On Saturday we ran the Team Recovery through the sandy quarry both

due to a complete cock-up by me, the course was one of the few Pennine

Team Recoveries ever to be attempted without wellies and without needing ropes (Oh the shame of it all). Although it was passable it did need thinking about, so for once we exercised the brain instead of the brawn. This only made the result more surprising 'cos George Carruthers and Alan Panter won in very quick time. Steve Houldsworth and lan Bartram got second prize, Steve also got a bent chassis and a holed rad, but that was due to driver fatigue rather than to the metal variety! Third place was taken by Raymond Sagar and David Sagar.


The sun still shone and the warmth instilled a,madness into the hearts

men. So a pretend comp safari was arranged, with what would have been drivers, in possible Land Rovers complete with imitation hazards and imagined arrows. I think Raymond Sagar would have won with a time of 2m 35s and a rake all down one side from an imitation tree. Dave Simmonite would have been second with a time of 2m 41s, Dave Rae's auto V8 would have been third in 2m 42s, joint fourth would have been Dave Sagar and Steve Parker with a time of 2m 55s. John Taylor pretended to roll his Land Rover over after belting a rock substitute and it was, all in all the non-event of the year but the spectators loved it!


The sun still shone as the competitors wandered off to their beans on

toast and then out to slake a gigantic thirst and cool the rapidly reddening parts of their anatomy. It's a long time since so much bare flesh has been exposed on a Pennine event!


Eight sections had been laid out for the trial on Sunday, or so we thought!

An early morning stroll round the site on the Sunday morning found a ninth

section, who says the Pennine Committee are only voted on 'cos they can count'

Three groups of eight and it was 'orft we jolly well'.It's amazing how cheer-

ful everyone is when the sun's shining and the birds are twittering etc etc.

Sue Parker made a fine effort in her brother's V8 Daimler 80, she was in fact beating him at one point and caused a lot less smoke to be emmited! Three other double entries were all providing their owners with a bit of a shock.


Dave Sagar let Malcolm (ace photographer - novice driver) Foreman enter his 80' only to regret it later when Malcolm won the class. Same happened to brother Raymond, who let Peter Hammond enter his Series 2. He again won the class. It was really rubbing it in after the Sagars had done all.the hard work, clearing trees and bushes over the three weeks prior to the event. Alan Panter let George Carruthers enter his 80', but that was mainly 'cos it was after their duel the previous day that George's motor wasn't fit enough to enter the trial!

Plastic padding and a lot of hammer work had let Steve Houldsworth

back in the trial (the padding for the radiator and hammer for the chassis

NOT, as you might expect, the other way round!) With 4 sections reversed

we had a lucky 13 but it didn't seem to make any effect as everyone finished and we had no Nasties during the day.


All in all it was a nice, relaxed atmosphere with gorgeous weather, a com-

plete change from the usual! I would like to thank the Land Owner, Mr. Ben

Lyte, for allowing us to use the land and the Sagar family en masse for not

only obtaining the land for us, but doing all the hard work in making it clear

enough for us to use.


MSA and ARC club members are welcome to come along and join our events. Phone Mark on 07866 506521 / 01282 703718



Pennine Land Rover Club, Pennine LRC