Becca Turner Photography
Paul Inskip Photography
Louise Limb Photography
Shot In Digital
Other Club's Events


Looking through one of my correspondence files the other day I found tucked in between the ARC correspondence, jokes for BB and RAC letters a report of Catlow Trial sent to me by no less a person than Dickimus.


Having complained so bitterly just recently that no-one bothers to send me articles I felt completely crestfallen, so 'tis with great embarrassment that I print this somewhat belated report of Callow Trial, a site that was obtained for us by Adrian Bennett. By some strange quirk of fate I received a phone call tonight from a Pennine member to inform me that the unnamed photo in March's BB was actually taken at Haggate Trial as one of the chaps in the background was actually Adrian Bennett. OK so you're not really that interested but I am, that unnamed photo has stirred up more response than virtually anything else I've ever published, so you can bet your bottom dollar there'll be more of the Who? When? and Where? type photos.


 Anyway, on with the story.



An excellently signposted route through the centre of Nelson led to the small disused tip/quarry site at Catlow Fold Farm. Parking space, once again, was very tight and motors soon lined up both sides of the road at the side of the events field. 48 motors signed on and, after scrutineering, the 6 sections laid out for the morning's competition were soon brimming with Land Rovers eager to have a good day. The weather decided to help as well and just to blind you on uphill sections it shone nice and brightly.


A gentle breeze rounded off the climatic conditions and made the end of winter seem like a hundred weeks ago. Dinner time was right on 12 noon as all motors finished the sections. For such a small area the sections were all as long as the ground permitted. A good advantage was taken of all the slopes that could be driven on. The afternoon's sections were the reversed morning ones with one of them removed. For the non-mathematical members (if we have 400 members then that means 400) there were 11 sections during the day, 6 in the morning, 5 in the afternoon.


The afternoon's session started off as planned at 2 o'clock and everything ran smoothly, just a little bit too smoothly really because the event, even with 11 good full sections, ended early in the afternoon and this left a lot of time in the afternoon free. Well, what to do with the time was the question. The answer soon came. Most people after doing the trials sections had had enough of them, so something with a difference was called for. It could have been described as a team recovery, just like the thing down at Lincoln was called a Comp Safari. What it was however could quite well have been called a timed trial, with one motor having to help it round a little bit of the course. The winner of this was Keith Schofield assisted by Mike Henney, a well deserved victory which was achieved by forward planning and not just the usual overgrown engine power that a special can provide.

A vote of thanks must be given to Ted and Carl who entered this peculiar event and having shown us how the event shouldn't be won promptly went round on their own and drove it without any assistance, all on their own, without assistance. I think a lot of people appreciate what happened there, thanks again Ted and Carl. Whilst we are on with the thanks a couple of people there must be mentioned, Mr. Cannon, the land owner and his friend, the guy who got the Land for the Pennine, Adrian Bennett. The unsung heroes were there as well, the marshalls, the people who make the event run, great people, all of them.


Dicky Day

Now it's time to let the competitive element have a say in the magazine. I've received a letter from one of our quieter competitors ie. Duncan Smith, regarding the first round of the ARC Championship at Audley. He asked me to print it, so here it is.

After attending the Easter Rally at Audley I feel I must put pen to paper what was a memorable event in more ways than one. Firstly all credit to the guys who laid out the Trial and Comp Safari courses. They made the best of a not too good piece of land, and were blessed by the weather which made the sections passable and not too mud( It makes me feel proud to be a Pennine member at events such as this.


What a Pennine turn out! We must have had more competitors than all the other clubs put together, and the results speak for themselves. Several  class wins and numerous seconds and thirds.


Now come the moans and groans. Toilet facilities - NIL, not a bog in sight!' It's OK for those in caravans etc. but what about those under canvas? For the status of the event, as ARC National Championship, I would have expected better facilities than provided. Scrutineering? made Monty Python look like Magic Roundabout. I feel that all those who went were of the same opinion, even members of rival clubs. All that checking of wheel bearings, tank seals, engine mountings etc was more applicable to a comp safari than a trial. And as for the Comp Safari ... a quick wiggle of the steering wheel and a handbrake test and you got your little blue card, just a bit topsy-turvy to put it politely. I was also witness to several incidents involving the scruting. One motor was failed for a too narrow bumper, OK, but the next motor was passed with a bumper that was mounted far too high giving an advantage. There were several examples of recut tyres that horrified me, potential 'blow outs on a Comp Safari are not really on. The regs on cut away wings were blatantly ignored. And now to the more serious moans. After laying out £35 on a BFC extinguisher I was more than disappointed to see 50% of the Comp Safari entrants going round without one. It's no good making these rules and not enforcing them, after making it plain that a 2.5 kg BCF must be carried (I hasten to add that all Pennine members I saw had one fitted). And what about helmets? No checks again and how many drivers did not have RAC stickers on them? I counted 5, if I have to have one on then so should all the other entrants. The points raised about fire extinguishers and helmets are highly controversial as  regards to whether or not they should be enforced. Let's have a once and for all decision from the ARC on Scrutineering standards. It seems to me that the scrutineers at Audley were not aware of several important points and too concerned with small bits and bats. Finally, if the ARC Drivers Championship is to remain credible, let's set high standards throughout or the whole thing will flop.


I realise I have gone on a bit, but I do feel strongly about the issues raised and-hope you can print my views and see if we can't stir up a bit of a revolution.

Duncan Smith





The good weather returned at last! Brian Dibb deserves a medal for obtaining the extra land for the Comp Safari, it made the course into the best one Pennine has, barring of course Catterick. Diesel power in the shape of Howard Leahy came to the Trial and literally wiped the floor with all the opposition including the 80's and that's with his road going, cow herding Series 2! Only two boggy bits in the whole field and they were put in to give the competitors something to play in more than anything else. Most of the marshalls were complete newcomers and it's all credit to them for making such a good job of it and also for choosing such a nice day to be inaugurated on. As I've received a report on Menston from the sunnier side

of the Pennines (have you heard the song 'It's hard being a Landie in Roch-

dale .....?) I'll retreat and it's over to Dicky on the Paddock Bend . . .

MENSTON sometime this month anyway,

The early start'seemed to fool a few people, the extra 1/2 hour that you had in bed on a Sunday morning has gone. But surprise, surprise, who turns up late, not the people from miles and miles away, but those from Menston's local looneys. Scrutineering started on time and passed unnoted even by the entrants. To accomodate those who don't read their Bottom Box and turned up late the do also had to start late. (I can say all that without any fears of retaliation 'cause if they don't read aboutthe do's then they aren't going to read the write ups - especially mine - unless the need to find out that it was a good do). The general layout of the event was to hold a  competitive safari in the afternoon, and have the trial in the morning before lunch. A shortage of volunteers for marshalls caused a couple of moments headaches, as did those who disappeared half way through the morning, but eventually all 8 sections were manned, mostly by the same old faces that help keep this club going.


The ground at Menston (as if you all didn't know) is a little bit hilly and the sections were laid out to utilise this natural feature to the full. The sections were good and ranged from a straightforward hill climb to twisty, narrow sections. The ground was dry and this gave an advantage to the larger engined motors who could use their power to hill climb. Some of the sections cut up slightly towards the end of the day, but as luck had it this didn't affect the uphill starts at all. Certainly an interesting course and one which tested the engine and brakes to a fair degree.


Officially dinner time was between one and two,but with the sections finished you were free to play. This didn't mean that you were free to play all over the farm. I only hope that the land owners don't object, because if they do then that's another piece of land that the Club has lost because of its members messing about without putting brain into gear. When will you learn that the club cannot run do's without land and that one of the reasons that we lose land is because land owners see that people are not staying within the agreed boundaries and mess about. If you want to act stupidly then leave this club and go and join something like the flat earth society.


Again scrutineering passed after dinner time and the competitive safari began. The course was greatly extended over previous years and  encompassed a far greater variety of land. It was magic. Gates opened, fields emptied, tracks cleared, even fences pulled down to enable a circuit to be laid out. Three runs, with all of them to count and a preliminary run round the course seemed to keep most people happy and, as it turned out, ended the do at a good time. The course started off with a short straight and a left hand bend, the first major hazard was a couple of rocks on the ground, most people went over these too slowly, but the fun bit there was  just after, when the ground fell away from under the wheels. An easy right

hand corner was followed by a couple of little 'bump stop testing' depress-

ions. Next came the gap in the fence followed by a very gentle uphill rise

which hid the course. Whoops! Where's it gone? Down there, brake, please

brake, BRAKE! Thank God, he did, it's funny but I always brake with the

pedal on the floor, not by turning the motor sideways and letting it slide;

perhaps that's what I've been doing wrong. Next, what's next, oh yes, the

bit where the petrol pump starts to make loud noises, damn thing, stop

trying to be a clock and start pumping petrol through. The gate with it's

slippy gentle right curve, start going up the hill. Oh for a big engine, losing

revs, 1st gear, getting boring, right turn, into the mud. The first two runs

seemed a little bumpy, so we went back to the muddy bit to 'sus the job

out'. We'll get a few more seconds by gliding over the top instead of going

up and down. That's it, just there, offside wheels by that little lump of

grass, up at the top side, no problem, full chat across there, save a good

5 seconds that will. Right, onto the mud, this time we'll show them little

gullys. Oh Hell, it's gone, where's the little lump of grass gone, we need it,

"''    too late now, OUCH! That's my head on the roll cage, thanks for the

BS2495. It hurt though, shut my eyes whilst I'm in the air, my head hurts.

Oh No, We've landed, open my eyes quick, WHAT THE BLOODY HELL

ARE THOSE SPECTATORS DOING? They're all round, oh dear, we've

landed in the middle of them, cleared the mud in the gullys though, kept

the weight down. What's that ditch doing there, that's the deep bit just

under our front wheel. Wellie down, it'll be reight.! It was!


Breathe in again! It's a slow bit in a 2 litre, up the hill, over the ridge,

bottom box, to the top, better acceleration in low box, keep it in until the

revs get too high. What the hell? It won't go in gear, no third, no fourth,

we need them, it's downhill to the finish, no pulling power, no bloody

gears! Freewheel down then, the engine's stopped. Ah well, we've passed

the line, it makes no difference now, let's stop and have a look. One of

the wires to the coil stretched a bit and dropped off, no problem there,

now then, those gears. Ah well, perhaps we left them in the mud, can't

find them in the gearbox.


Well, that was it, prize giving came and went, fastest run of the day was provided by 'Cardboard cut-out Range Rovers Inc.' with a very creditable time. Alan Panter's little lad had a hard time running backwards and forwards picking up trophies, you can just imagine him at school telling then all about how his Dad can beat your Dad and if .they don't believe it then he stuffs a trophy right up their left nostril. A good do, well supported by

both entrants and the weather alike. Thanks for the land go to the Dibb

dynasty and especially to Brian who smoothes the flow in getting the lane

and laying it out.

Dicky Day



SKIPTON (Single venue, multi purpose, weekend long all action event!)


OK, so BB was late reaching you I know, I know! I can assure you that all that needs to be said on that particular subject has been said, I've had my legs slapped so often I'm starting to like it! But as it was pointed out it's my name at the bottom of the mag, so it's my responsibility. I sincerely apologise to anyone who had their weekend spoiled or plans up set by the late arrival of BB and now I'll relate the tale!


Duncan Kellet (PLRC member and ace Barman) had arranged for a social night in the Black Horse pub at Hellifield, complete with free camp site across the road and a licensing extension so long it was printed on a inner tube! As it was only four groups took advantage of the camp site, one caravan, one motor home, one tent and one Halifax Series one with two boards stuck in the back providing the very latest in orthopaedic be They don't half grow 'em tough in Hafilax! It was an idyllic setting with the field full of ewes and lambs of all sizes, with the occasional train running past the back of the field on the Settle-Carlisle Railway just to add the interest, of course while us plebs were sampling the rural delights of the Dales, all the Patricians were swanking off with rooms for the night and a touch of the B & B's at the Black Horse across the road.


The night's entertainment in the Pub lived up to expectations except in numbers. Some 20 or 30 Pennine props could be seen supporting the bar, the Juke box, the waitress and anything else that could be leaned on. The aforementioned Duncan had one of those sort of surprises you could do without when his lady arrived to announce that she'd just done his Lightweight a serious mischief on the road out of Skipton, and the friendly local Constabulary had decided to keep it for the night for safe keeping.


Took it like a man the lad did, true British stiff upper lip and all that, it must only be Mirfield where they don't breed 'em tough! By midnight only the hardy ones were left (this is still a personal report you understand, only from here on in the facts get a bit hazy!) and that included quite a few locals who decided to take advantage of the extension, I bet you won't find those farmers complaining about Pennine for a long time! To prevent libel actions and keep what little facial features I have in some semblance of order I will stop this particular narrative at this point, to name names in the same paragraph as two oranges and a banana could set off repercussions I couldn't stop. It was somewhere between the hours of 1-0 and 5-30 am that the revellers staggered, crawled and bumped their way back to their beds or boards as the case may be, including 100% of the event organisers and 50% of the committee. (Two or three hours later!) It was my first visit to this site and very impressive it is too. Chairman Haigh was doing the money taking at the bottom of the track and doing a lot of public relations work with the local inhabitants who were, quite naturally, apprehensive at the number and variety of vehicles that were appearing up their road, and what is potentially more annoying still the number of cars parked at the side of the road.


 After a steep rocky climb of some 1/2 a mile you are rewarded with truly magnificent views over Skipton and beyond up the Dale towards Settle, it must have been worth a quid to take a vehicle up there and enjoy the view.

I'm not very good at guessing areas, but I would say that the moor we were using was a good mile square with three low ridges running along the top part (I kept hearing them called hillocks during the event . . at least I think that's what they were being called . . . !)


Fourteen teams of 3 lined up for the mass start which resembled the start of the Klondyke Gold Rush without the horses. The real beauty of this particular site is that no-one who was entered knew the site beforehand unlike somewhere like Windy Hill where some of the competitors can navi- gate from the oil slicks and tyre tracks they left the previous year, so it was an even start for everyone . . . some of us could have done with tracker  dogs though! I would love to see the start of this event from a thousand feet up (after entering all three my bum wished I'd watched it all from a 1,000 feet up!) I'm sure it would make an ace comedy film if it was slowed down and set to music! Luckily most of the really boggy parts of the moor were quite crusty on top and provided you kept out of the other fellows tracks you were OK, nevertheless two teams became trapped in the mire, all in a straight line behind one another! (here endeth the first lesson!)


Much aggression could be seen as teams tried to go through narrow sections side by side, at some of the busier ones the marshalls had to act as Policemen on point duty. Team Flatt-Broke had a sneaky line in section blocking by putting Steve Flatt on his roof to block the section so the others

couldn't get through, a novel approach I thought!


I have one moan about the organisation though, it was impossible to concentrate on the driving with all those acres and acres of exposed female flesh and bared bosoms all over the place, there must have been hundreds of spectators, never mind the marshalls! What with that and the blazing sun temperatures rocketed to the point where Bill Leacock's motor caught fire with the amount of dry grass stuffed round his exhaust, smoke signals are 'in' for communicating with your team mates! While a couple of teams were resting back at the finish, others were still bouncing and crashing around the moor looking for that elusive 'last' section, convinced in their own mind that there was only nine sections and the Lister/Hoskins duo were playing some horrible joke on them.


At the winning post it was, as it so often is these days, the Peak and Dukeries Team of Tom Boydell Senior, Tom Boydell Junior and an Alsatian Section sniffer outer cunningly disguised as Harold Carman, the first of many that day I might add. In second place was a strange Lancs/Yorks alliance under the guidance of President Millington, who managed to enter every event for nothing, win ropeman's medallion, and go home as clean as he came without his motor turning as much as a wheel! (Carrying on the President's tradition my boy). Despite him the 3 who won second place were Derek Jefferson, Colin Salford and Geoff Dyer, and last but not least in 3rd place was Bill Leacock (complete with scorch marks), Alan Jeffery

and David James. Modesty prevents me from naming the first team not to

win anything, but we were one of those convinced there were only 9 sections!


There was a natural break while stuck teams were unstuck and sections were altered for the solo event. It's all go in the Pennine you know! It's great how everybody appreciates these breaks when the sun is shining, the birds twittering and you can lie in the grass and get run over by Land Rovers!


A couple of well known Pennine motors have changed hands recently on the transfer market, Raymond Sagar's Series 2 Heart Transplant Tester  has found a new owner (driver?) in Eddy Bentham who turned up in Skip ton only to bust both diffs, he laughed it off with the immortal phrase, 'Clunk Click every trip!' Brother David's V8 80 has also changed hands, this time staying in the family with Richard Sagar.


Several people decided to miss the solo event as either they or their vehicles were feeling the strain (We're none of us getting any younger, are we?) and yet again the moor throbbed to the sound of 36 Land Rovers setting off in a mass start in search of sections and glory. Philip Beever found his glory in a hole (Gloryhole . . get it?) which flipped him on his lid neat as a whistle, and Geoff Dyer met his Waterloo when a combination of Vauxhall 3.3 litre power and a cross ditch re-formed his front axle to give negative camber. Other than that there didn't seem to be much destruction I'm glad to say (there's probably dozens of blokes muttering 'he knows nowt', as they trundle off into the garage with their welding torch in one hand and lump hammer in the other).


What's this, I says to myself, as I streak back to the finish line confident I've got the Big One in the bag, it's only one of your actual Boydell's parked up finished, done, WON. Tom junior for first place, belated BH for second. Third was Bill Leacock, he's tried petrol, diesel, LPG, I wonder if the little conflagration under his back end has set him off on the steam trail?


Harrogate's Heath Heighty was fourth (they talk posh in Harrogate hence the Heighty) and Mr Smiff somehow received the credit for driving it, one of his compatriots reckons he aims it more than drives it! Another flop on the floor while the sections are uprooted and the pre-marked Comp Safari course has life breathed into it, this was certainly a value for money day!


Three runs at a rugged 1 1/2 mile course was the final fling, it certainly wasn't an unavoidable motor bender so I can't understand why a lot of the top speed merchants gave it a miss - perhaps old age is really catching up? Off we went again to sling sod, hurl turf and amuse the masses. Carl Amos, who has been practising for years now, finally perfected it. He rolled over at high speed, straight back on his wheels and carried on to get the fastest time on that run, now all he's got to do is perfect the art of doing it without bending anything and we can put him in the Guiness book of records.


Although snuff dry, the surface was like driving on polished lino and cornering could be fun if not treated with respect (I wish I'd written this article BEFORE I entered the event') Alan Panter had the softest ride he's had in years before he discovered that it was because his chassis had come adrift at both sides. Despite his roll Carl returned to the 'fari only to have to retire after throttle problems (we couldn't get his wife's fingers from round his neck!), another drop out was Derek Montford along with several others who shared the same fate and at the finish, need I say it? It was Dad's turn this time, 1st overall and first Class 4/5 17m5s. 2nd in Class 4/5 Richard Sagar, picking up his first trophy with the new motor 19m39s. First in Class 1 and 2nd overall was Philip Beever 17m28s (YROC), second in Class 1 was Neil Williams 18m25s (L&C) and third was Duncan Smith 18m31s. In Class 2 it was 3rd overall and 1st in class Paul Dewhirst 17m47s, second yer hon ed 2Bh2 and last but not least Mick Moore 18m22s.


To finish I would like to thank all those who attended for acting responsibly and heeding the instructions about not leaving the field, at Lunchtime, with your complete co-operation and a bit of luck we can look forward to many more epic events at Skipton. In true Beau Geste tradition the marshalls stayed at their posts through a long, hot day and in return were given their quid back and a sun tan as a bonus, thanks to you all. Please don't be tempted to go near the site except when an or- ganised event is taking place, Melvyn Taylor has been to a lot of trouble to get the site despite all sorts of official problems and if we were to lose it he would be rather upset, and his Alsatian ain't half got big teeth! A pat on the back for Messrs Lister, Hoskins and Melonie Simmonite for putting a King size event on, and judging by the way tongues were hanging out on the return trip down the track I reckon Theakstons, Charringtons and Tetleys would have had something to smile about that night too!


With that little epic finished I shall bid you farewell with a small, feminine type thought .... 'Oh Lord give me patience . . . . . BUT HURRY!


Brian Hartley



MSA and ARC club members are welcome to come along and join our events. Phone Mark on 07866 506521 / 01282 703718



Pennine Land Rover Club, Pennine LRC