Becca Turner Photography
Paul Inskip Photography
Louise Limb Photography
Shot In Digital
Other Club's Events


It was like a trip back in time going up through Skipton and out to-
wards Kettlewell into the Dales proper, back to Pennines birthplace really,
because it was the Dales where it all started, unfortunately, as most long-
standing members will know, we seemed to outgrow the area and slowly
but surely we have had to retreat until last year we had no events at all in
the Dales, so it was particularly pleasing to be allowed to use the Grassing-
ton site again. But the moment we left Grassington village centre and got
near the trials site the same old problem was apparent. Both sides of the

already narrow road were solid with parked cars for a good Vi mile, at a
conservative estimate I would say 100 vehicles at least and that wasn't
counting the 51 entries in the field itself plus another 40 or 50 motors
parked within the field. There is no implied complaint here, most people
were doing their best to make as little nuisance as possible and are to be
congratulated for it, it is just another example of the penalty of Pennine's
popularity. It is heartening to see so many people brave a bitterly cold
day to come and watch but I've no doubt the locals viewed it with some
suspicion, if not dislike. Still you can't keep a good club down, as they
say, so I'll be optimistic and hope we'll be visiting Grassington again next

I arrived at lunchtime, idle sod that I am, just as the bevy boys were
off to the boozer, to get a bit of life back into the frozen parts and the
last 20 or so entries were finishing the morning's 8 sections. Which were
good 'uns from what they were saying!

The land at Grassington is quite unique to our trialling ground as it
ranges from pure rock and shale through to very fine sand, peat bog and
several hippo holes! There were a couple of lads who learned the hard way
that Land Rovers can't shift 2 ton granite slabs with or without 4 wheel

While the cold wind howled around our ears we were all treated to a
display of Baja Buggy rough riding. The Buggy tore round the site, plough-
ing through mud and water at a great rate of knots and generally bouncing
around like a demented donkey till of course the inevitable happened and
it rolled heavily after hitting a rock, nonchalantly with a flick of his hand
the driver had the Buggy upright again and without a pause it was tearing
over the mud again.

OK I'll let all of you who weren't there into the secret, it was a radio
controlled scale model, and a fine model it was too, complete with steering,
working suspension and shock absorber, it should have failed scrutineering
though . . . it's track rods fell off. A lad called Martin Grange was the
proud owner of what is a complex AND expensive piece of machinery, per-
haps this could be the start of something new and cheaper than Land
Rovering? Equally unique but rather larger was a jet black Series 2 Truck
cab with extra large windscreen and 4.6 litre Chevy V8 engine and ace
number plate MUD 75 (I've often wondered if anyone has the PEN 9 num-
ber plate or perhaps SWB 88, LWB 109 or even RR V8, anybody ever seen
them?) With a name like Black Sabbath for his creation perhaps Jerry
Wilkinson was tempting the big G a little, it did seem to spend a fair while
having its innards seen to?

It almost seemed at one time as if we were going to see some mating
during the day as in addition to Black Sabbath there was Dave Baxter all
the way from Derbyshire in his Rhino V8 (perhaps that's where tiny
buggies come from?)

Anyway while I was giving it the ace reporter bit, John Lister and Dave
Hoskins were altering 6 of the mornings sections to run again in the after-
noon. As always post lunch time driving techniques owed a lot to liquor and
little to latent skill as Eddy Bentham proved immediately after lunch by
planting his V8 firmly on its long suffering snout, doing a neat bumper ba-
lance and then gently rocking back onto all 4 wheels. Seconds later another
motor attempted to do a sideways flip and was only prevented from doing
so by 15 or so bodies clinging to the nearside as ballast, it was all over by
the time I'd ambled up, but Glenn Thompson was much more helpful, he
rolled his right in front of me in a deep gully, definitely a case of driver
fatigue! It was definitely an interesting trials course, but there were only a
few drivers giving it the thought it deserved (but then it's always easy to be
a sideline critic as well!)

Cliff Roberts was one of those few and proving that he's not got derv
in place of blood he was having a bit of an away day on his brother's petrol
Lightweight, the results at the end tell the whole story.

By the middle of the afternoon flurries of real snow were starting to
drift earthwards and a rapid exodus of spectators were to be seen heading
for the road and home. As I've already said with 51 entrants and literally
hundreds of spectators it was a well attended event and I hope everyone
found some enjoyment there, with a little luck we won't have upset the
locals and will return next year, no praise is high enough for the marshals
who stood out in the Arctic conditions, even our Hon President was num-
bered among your ranks getting his JR Close points in! A reight good day
and a fitting event for our return to the Dales.


SYKE MOOR (January 11th)

8-45 am and I think to myself 'Shall I drag my Dad out of bed or will
he drag me out of mine?' Anyway my decision was soon made up as a voice
came into my room saying 'Come on, time to get up!' So I hauled myself
out of bed and by a quarter to ten we were ready for the off. Lo and be-
hold (or damn and blast) we had a puncture, so off came the wheel and on
with the spare, and off we trundled up to Syke Moor.

Syke Moor was frozen solid and there was very little mud. Section 1
was across the valley with a slalom at the top and an adverse camber half
way down. Section 2 was along the top of a rib of ground. On this section
most vehicles got a fair way round, although one or two nearly rolled it
early on. Section 3 was a hilly one with the finish in a narrow piece of
ground. Section 4 was across a flooded sand basin (ever heard ice stuck
between the axle and steering rods), out at the other side and round a
hillock into another pool, and then up a steep hillock. Only Steve Parker
in his white 80" cleared it (in group 3). Some motors had to be pulled out
after going up, then sliding down, filling the exhaust pipe with mud.
Section 5 was another one of those valleys with a marshy down hill, along
the bottom, then up the other side of the valley. Section 6 was a route
along one side of a rib of earth and shale, round the end with an adverse
camber (another?). At the bottom of the camber was a hole with bits of
Land Rover in it (Last year's Syke Moor??!!). Once off the camber it carried
on up the other side of the rib, did a sharp turn, then went up a slippery
hill. Section 8 came with a steep, very long hill two foot from the edge of
the track (how about that for a team recovery with a 300 ft rope?). The
section was a bit rocky with a few tight corners. Then came dinner with
a lot of people going down to The Red Lion for a 'quick drink'. During
the dinner hour we helped Jim Burgess tidy up the sections for the afternoon.

We finished just in time to see Brian Hartley and Dicky Day giving a demon-
stration on marshalling in a special section for Dicky's long wheel base station
wagon. Afternoon came with some people shouting 'I don't know how much
of that stuff we had, but it was good' and 'By Ek, What wer' that stuff we
had at The Red Lion' or words to that effect, and other things that BH
wouldn't print.

Section 9 was another adverse camber one (another?). The Land Rovers
had to go along one side of a rib of ground at a steep angle, through a gap in
the rib, round the end, and back towards the track again. On this section
most people slid sideways onto the sticks due to the cambers. Section 10
came with some people (Who'd been to The Red Lion?) forgetting to put
their vehicles in gear and still getting halfway through the section!'Section 10
was a sort of slalom across a gully. Section 11 on top of a hill, went down,
round a bit of a slalom and through some water and round a hillock. Sections
12 and 13 were those with the tight corners and slippery exits.

Then when all the excitement had died down people trundled to their
transport, exhausted but happy. They set off and made their way to their
little hovels, scattered about the Pennines to repair the damage that Syke Moor
had claimed.



I bet I know what he wants for his 17th Birthday and it isn't a pen!
Thanks Andrew, it's nice to know that someone under the age of thirty
reads this besides me!


MSA and ARC club members are welcome to come along and join our events. Phone Mark on 07866 506521 / 01282 703718



Pennine Land Rover Club, Pennine LRC