Becca Turner Photography
Paul Inskip Photography
Louise Limb Photography
Shot In Digital
Other Club's Events

Sunday 19th July 1981. Place: Bala. North Wales. Time: 1.30am on
P.L.R.C. Camping Ground.

I arrived back at campus at approx. 12.10 am after an evening out at
the Ale House at Llauderfel, opened my Green Goddess Door, undressed,
and slipped into something more comfortable, (my sleeping bag!). I was
very comfy and snug and was soon in the Land of Nod. I was awakened by
a car engine stopping at the gate of the campus. Ah! I thought, an early
entrant for the Comp Safari - it wasn't; as I looked out of my door window
I saw a fellow jump out of a car, rip down our Castrol indicator arrows,
steal our warning board, say no problem and speed off into the darkness!
I blinked my eyes again, what the devil's going on I thought. I glanced down
the campsite. All's well (I thought), but in the distance I saw a car using a
flash code with his headlamps. Ah, I thought, an organised plot. Anyway
there was nothing I could do at the time, so I got my head down for a kip.
I got up at 7-0 am, a nice day it was too.

Off I went chutelling down the country lane to the farmhouse for my
wash, not a soul in sight. 3 times I went down in 30 mins and the land
owner, Mr Ifon Pugh, had risen and I told him about the plot, thinking that
it might have been the local rally club of which he is Chairman. But he
seemed to think it wasn't. Anyway in the meantime Mrs Chaloner woke up
and I told her what had happened. So we decided to get into his V8 Auto
LR and check the arrows en route from Bala Town. It was as well we did
because all the direction arrows had been ripped down and there were two
rickers on their way, The Power Gang in their Rangey and a Safari. So we
replaced the arrows. Those lads must have had brains because they were on
the right road. Back at the campsite Michael had a bite to eat and sup,
Heather also made me a cup before we set out to check the Comp Safari
course before the start of the event. It was a good job we did because the
phantoms had been at that too. They had ripped up, disarranged and re-
routed about '/2 a mile of the course. So we raced back to the site to get
some more sticks etc. and a few more entrants had arrived. Where's the
scrutineer? they were demanding. Time: 8.55 am. Where is Steve Flatt, the
scrutineer? I went down to his B&B Res. to ask the Land Lady, Mrs Pugh,
which was Steve's room; she told me so I went and brayed on the door.
'Hello', came a rather surprised voice. 'Come on, Steve'. I said 'there's 12
nits waiting to be scrutineered'.'Oh heck' he said, rather amazed. He had
forgotten where he was and what day it was. Anyway, after he arrived on
site the motors were soon done. All six of them! In the meantime M.C. and
myself were out on the course returning the sticks etc. We noticed Steve
Flatt and the V6 driver, Steve Parker, also assisting. Well done, lads. Me and

Michael felt rather fatigued after all the hectic action. We set off back to
site so that M.C. could start them off IVi hrs late. but what a good crowd
they were, no grumbles from anyone and everyone enjoyed themselves. We
had two Welsh members join the Comp Safari after joining the Pennine. The
local Land Rover dealer of Bala Lakeside L.R. and the Blacksmith Pendre
Forge. Between them they built a Land Rover just for the Comp. They'd
worked day and night on it and it was up to all the regs required. (Some
of the older members are still trying to meet the regs.) They named them-
selves the Bala Basher and the Bala Rocker. They also helped by supplying
a L.W.B.L.R. complete with dragons for recovery. The Land Owner, Mr Ifon
Pugh, is so hooked on the sport that he is making another gate into his top
field to take Artics towing a caravan.

Anyway, many thanks to the helpers and participants for being thought-
ful. There was no litter to be picked up as they all used the plack poly bags
provided. Some of the competitors slept in their motors without even a
sleeping bag and were frozen silly, didn't you E.B. Thanks all again.

George Cook

Alias Smokie Chef

For all those of you who thought Green Goddesses were fire engines
I can tell you that in George's case it's a Moggy Minor van! Thanks George.
We now leave the wilds of Welsh Wales for the delights of Ding Quarry,
where tripe was once quarried by Rochdale gourmets, but which has now
been promoted to a Pennine playground.



Have you ever felt that your better nature was getting you into trouble
sometimes? I began to get that sort of 'what have I let myself in for this
time' feeling the moment 1 put the phone down after speaking to Dicky-
mouse Day (famous crooner of such songs as 'It's hard being a bobby in
Rochdale') etc. The command, which sounded more like a request, was for
me to present myself at the Rochdale turn off of the M1 on Saturday in
order to collect the club trailer from Dickie's and take it to Ding Quarry
where 1 was to assist Jim Burgess and fellow Rochdalians in marking out
the two (yes two) trials for Sunday's Ding Quarry event. Ostensibly, I was
to take Dickie's place as he was required by her Majesty on affairs of state
that Saturday, so all seemed innocent enough on the surface!!!! At the duly
appointed time my trusty Series 2 rocketed down the slip road at something
approaching Mach 40 mph and suddenly found myself surrounded by a Range
Rover with funny blue lights. I thought to myself 'I'll stick with this lad, he
seems as if he knows where he's going'. ....... he did too!

So it was, I found myself heaving a double axle trailer up the long and
winding road (with due respect to the Beatles) to Ding Quarry, a name I still

can't say without smirking, it reminds too much of a joke I once heard.
When I wrote the directions and instructions for this event in the previous
BB I didn't really believe the track was as long as they said, but for once
the white man spoke with straight tongue! Make a good comp safari I
thought to myself (somebody else had already thought the same, must be
telephathy), as if by magic my old steed gave a rumble and a squeak and the
layshaft bearing collapsed, silly B must have thought I was going to Comp
Safari with the trailer on the back! After what seemed like an eternity I
arrived in the quarry and was much impressed.

Jim Burgess, Aubrey Oldham and Bill Dennis had already marked the
Novice sections out and were on with the 'expert' sections, so re-armed
with more sticks we pressed on in the bright afternoon sun. I particularly
enjoyed marking the section with the 1-o-n-g drop from the beginning, I
love to watch people's faces when they come down the hill, especially the
passengers who only came out for a gentle afternoon on the hills! There
was much head scratching going on between the two teams of section
seekers for the site of the last two sections (which are always the hardest
to find), when that dreaded Rochdale mist fell out of the sky like a stricken
albatross. The biggest trouble with Rochdale's mist is that you get very wet!
To cap my day a small piece of 20 million year old millstone grit ate a lump
of my Avon radial causing severe pain to my wallet, ah well, I thought, as I
trundled back over Windy Hill to where the sun still shone, nothing else can
go wrong, can it? You'd better believe it can, ask me who got done for
having his tax 2 weeks out of date? Well that's what I did the day before
Ding Quarry, what were you doing?

Having now been to Ding I realised on my way across the '62 on Sunday
morning that the long ribbon of white track that can be seen from the Motor-
way winding up over the moors, was indeed the very track we were taking to
Ding Quarry, next time you're going West bound over the M62 have a look
to your right over Rochdale's rampant rooftops and you'll see it, apparently
an old drover's road to Bacup as well as access to the local quarries. Dave
Hoskins liked the view so much that he went over a week early to have a
look at it, that'll teach him to read BB and get his dates right next time!
Not only did he go the wrong weekend but he broke down as well .....
and that's a committee member for you! Sunday was a beautiful day, the
second one Rochdale had this year, and I was totally gobstruck when I reali-
sed that from my mornings section I could see this large cornflakes bowl
miles and miles to the South of us across Manchester. Gigantic cornflakes
bowls are a bit of a rarity where I come from so I whipped out the binocu-
lars (some of the sections were so long I thought it would be worth taking
them!) and soon realised I was looking at Jodrell Bank radio telescope in
the heart of Cheshire, which just proves what sort of a view we were all
treated to. Much closer to the eyeballs were many other sights as the warm
weather encouraged many of the huge entry list to divest their wooly pullies,

a sight not often seen in the Pennines, even your Hon Ed was to be seen
stripped to the waist, his extra wide hair parting gleaming dully in the sun-

What a fabulous response we get to our Novice events these days, no
less than 52 novices turned up with an equal number of helpers, watchers,
hecklers etc, they also turned up with a keen desire to win, or Uncle Jim
Burgess made the sections too easy for you, he's a kindhearted lad under
that hirsute exterior you know, no less than 46 clears on the novice sections
and it was at this point that a slight panic set in and Ding Quarry turned a
bit Ding Dong. There's no way you can start and draw straws to see who
wins out of 46 clears, so 3 of the afternoon's "expert' sections were pressed
into service as tie breakers (chosen mainly because although they were a lot
tougher they were on soft peat and theoretically wouldn't be very damaging!!)
46 novices including 4 hefty Long Wheelers soon had two of those sections
looking like Dunkirk, and there was some serious snatch recovery taking
place (bang went another theory, even Einstein wasn't perfect you know!)
To their credit most of the novice entrants seemed to be revelling in the
unexpectedly harsh world of a proper trial, but it ruined 3 of the afternoon's
sections as well bringing the event grinding to a standstill almost. Luckily
Pennine works well under pressure and I was dispatched with a bundle of
sticks to put in 3 extra sections for the afternoon's use, while others got
stuck in extricating the last of the novice entrants from where they had be-
come embedded, none of this having any ill effect on the upper crust types
who were enjoying their pate and wine from a good vantage point .... I
think I'll volunteer for President next year!

Keith Schofield was unlucky enough to have his motor hijacked to
help lay out these new sections and received a very bent drop arm for his
pains .... sorreeee! Jonathan Oldfield was the next to have the pleasure
of me whipping his motor, but somehow his returned in one piece? By the
time all this reorganisation had taken place time was getting on, but Dicky-
mouse had the afternoon's 32 'experts????' ready for off and apart from a
minor hiccup when none of us could remember where we'd put one of the
sections the afternoon's trial went on at a really cracking rate over some
excellent sections, the weather of course helping to keep everyone in good

An excellent day's sport, well supported by everyone and special thanks
must go to Dicky Day and Jim Burgess, who I believe got the land in the
first place, now that we've passed the behaviour test with flying colours it's
highly likely that we'll be seeing a lot more of this site (like 4 or 5 hundred
acres more!), if so the next event up there should be an epic long distance
Comp Safari, drool drool. Many thanks to all the entrants who remained
patient despite the hitches, you must admit you certainly got value for
money, and the marshals. God bless their cotton underpants, who stuck at
their post like dedicated legionnaires in the blazing Rochdale Sun, a real
Hum DINGer (I just couldn't resist it!)



Pre Bank Holiday Friday night and you could almost hear the sound
of heads being scratched all up and down the Pennines as it suddenly dawned
on people that they didn't really know where this Whithaugh place was, I
mean dammit we've been going to Catterick for 5 years now! All you do is
go up the Al for a couple of hours and then turn left, but Scotland's foreign,
ain't it? Nevertheless the hordes set off Northwards bound for them thar hills,
though it soon became apparent that some were in a bigger hurry than others
as I discovered when Derek Montford came barrelling past me up the M6 in
his swank Yank motor home, I got the last laugh though when I saw his
lights on the trialler behind! An uneventful trip up, though I did see various
Land Rover outfits scratching their heads on different roundabouts near
Carlisle, but there's nothing strange in that now is there?

By 11-0 pm we were on the last stretch into Newcastleton and the
road was repeatedly obscured by eerie banks of low lying mist that crawled
over walls from the surrounding fields ..... must be Scotch mist I mused!
As we entered the camp site we were greeted by a stout bunch of Pennine
committee types, real hardy souls all of them, but I always think it's nice
to be greeted on arrival after a few hundred miles up one of England's super
snailways 'cos it's a lonely life truck driving! Saturday set the pace for the
rest of the weekend, reasonably leisurely, for us competitors that is, there
were plenty of people who were working harder than they have to normally!
Congratulations to Dicky Day and Ron Whitham who have finally cracked
that old bugbear of all large Land Rover events, the dreaded screwball
queue! The new system worked well and quickly all weekend and that falls
into perspective when I tell you that there were 111 different motors that
went through scrutineering and were scrutineered a total of 223 times (not
each of course!) Mind you it's gold stars all round for the lads too, only
49 of those 223 were knobbled and only 10 of those 49 had faults that
couldn't be rectified at scrutineering, and no way could the scrutineers be
called easy going!

Fifty two bog bombers lined up for the mass start of the Point to
Point on Saturday afternoon, the sun shone, the birds twittered, the en-
gines revved and the kamikaze photographers stood right where at least
20 motors were intending to traverse, (if you got any good black and white
piccies before you were mown down could I have them for BB please??).
This had to be the best ever Point to Point for one simple reason, not one
competitor had any idea of the lie of the land or the conditions that were
out there. Unfortunately some of our other P to P sites are now so well
used that the regulars virtually follow last year's tracks, but not at Whithaugh,
this was real he man macho stuff, an hour and a half of solid cross country
thrashing to visit as many points as possible .... and may the best man win!
it was a toss up which started overheating first, the motors or craniums in-
side helmets that soon felt like hot wet sponges. Best hidden section of the
twelve was without doubt Russel Robinson's who received much abuse for
not having made himself more conspicuous to us poor hounds, mind you a
lot of the marshals got some good natured abuse .... especially those who
couldn't write fast enough! I don't remember seeing any nasties on my
travels, though I did see Philip Beever attempting to roll his 80, but he
didn't even get that right, and at least one other soul remained buried up
to his doors for most of the event. As prophesied Colin McKay's BAMA
Lightweight lost its fancy low slung exhaust system in double quick time
and several motors lost their cool in a big way, mainly V8's (dig, dig!).
Dave Rae must have been practising 'now you see it, now you don't' type
tricks with his Range Rover 'cos due to some optical illusion he appeared
to have been through the start gate most often, but when the results were
out it was not to be! A really great event, very slicky marked out and run,

it just had to be the best value for money going, a full l'/2 hours! It would
have been interesting to know how many miles the leaders clocked round
that lump of moor!

Of course the Point to Point was only the warm up for the really big
event of the weekend, the reason most Pennine Parents had been dragged
to the wilds of Scotland, I refer of course to the BMX racing. Now I've
always maintained within these pages that you'd have to go a long way to
find a bigger bunch of headcases than wot we have wivin our umble club.
Boy was I wrong, they aren't far away at all ... they're just younger!
BMX is the nearest thing to throwing Christians to Lions that you're ever
likely to see in real life, talk about skin ripping, bone breaking, muscle
wrenching good fun, it made Ben Hur look like Snow White, and for the
first time ever the whole adult population of the assembled Rover clubs
showed their eminent good sense by not one of them entering the 'any age'
race, this form of torture was strictly for the kids!! For the uninitiated the
idea is to race specially made bikes, en masse, down an S shaped dirt track
complete with large jumps and take offs. For protection the kids are given
a plastic colander for their heads and knee and elbow pads plus a request
for medical assistance to stand by and a short prayer for good luck .....
then these 7 and 8 year olds hurl themselves down this man made death
trap to what seems like certain oblivion. Needless to say the little hooligans
enjoyed every second of it, even those who did take a tumble seemed to
have remarkable powers of recovery, it all goes to show how little I under-
stand kids I suppose! All the same wild horses wouldn't have made me have
a do and I saw more than one seasoned Comp Safari man who blanched at
the thought of having a go himself! The competition was, to say the least,
fierce, and it says volumes for the Rover club kids that they managed to
beat most of the locals who'd had a lot of practise, I just hope I'm not
around when this lot are old enough to start entering Comp Safaris!

Remember I said they'd dragged their parents along? Well Neil Topping
got his parents to come all the way from London specially for this event,
now that must have been the "Please Dad, can we???" story of all time!

And so to Saturday night, beer tent, barbeque and disco all laid on
and very well attended too, we even had an impromptu display of the
'Highland Fling' by some of the local youth, although I don't think their
version of it will ever make 'Come Dancing' finals somehow!

Sunday was the 'Headache Trial', it had been a headache for John
Lister and Dave Hoskins to find the sections and it was a headache (for
more reasons than one) for the blokes who were attempting to drive them.
Twelve very varied sections, very efficiently run by the marshals, made for
another easy going day, nice weather and a nice long lunchtime instead of
the usual mad dash that always seems to ensue when you have 1 14 entries
in a Trial. The geography of the place was such that each group of 6 sections
were well apart and in completely different types of terrain, the sections in
the wood being infested with the flesh eating insects for which Whithaugh
had now become famous, many people could be seen lathering themselves
with insect repellant, only to find that the insects loved it and came in
droves and humans hated it and avoided them as if they had the dreaded

Personally I think 12 sections is ample for a Trial, but with my kind

of scores I'm probably biased!

Again I don't think anyone did anything silly on the Trial, at least
those in my group didn't, but 1 did notice a couple of newly bent wings
when we returned to the camp site, so perhaps all wasn't sweetness and
light after all. I was pleased to see that George Beever took first overall on
the Trial with another fine display of driving, a case of experience triumph-
ing over youth I ask myself? In fact the 3 top places overall on the Trial
all went out of the Pennine club, it's OK though, we got our own back, we
gave them the 'easy tarnish' trophies!

The Pennine LRC trophy for the highest placed Pennine member was
of course awarded to Duncan Smith. Colin Birchall is to be congratulated
on his victory (hiss boo) as he put the rest of us Series 2 types to shame,
it was only either his 2nd or 3rd trial ever and he walked it .... Wonders!
Is that why he won? Dave Sanderson too got an incredible 8 pts, only
3 points behind the eighties, and Bill Didcock along with the rest of the
flying plumbers and hairy haggis brigade from the Scottish Land Rover
Owners Club did well on his home heather with 7 points and a first in
Class 4, the Scottish lads certainly seemed to enjoy themselves, it could
have been something to do with those wee drams perhaps? lan Bartram I
suppose deserves a mention if only because he appeared at all, I mean it
was his honeymoon after all, not only that he beat his new father in law
as well, that's what I call cheeky!

I don't think I'm detracting from the rest of the event when I say
that Sunday night was the night that most people, even those who weren't
entered, were waiting for. AWDC were the first to pioneer a night Comp
Safari and Pennine are the first to try it among the Rover clubs. You could

almost feel the tension rising as darkness tell, not everyone took it quite so

seriously though, as 1 walked along the lines of waiting motors Sam White's
navigator, Ian Mitchell, was heard to growl, "If they don't get a move on
it'll be dark soon!" .... All was well in the ranks 1 thought! It was an eye
opener in itself just looking at the variety and ingenuity that had been
brought to bear on the problem of lights, from the bog standard Rover glim
sticks to sooper dooper 6 million candle power searchlights that needed
Vz inch cable to feed them and 30 horse power just to drive the alternator,
and as for mounting this array (??) of lights there were more positions than
the Kama Sutra (or so I've been told!'.) Above the roll bar, under it, on
bonnets, bumpers, wings, bulkheads, it wouldn't have surprised me in the
least to see someone with a collier's helmet complete with lamp!

At last the David Brown Motor Sports drinking (sorry! 1 meant Timing)
Team swung into action like the well oiled machine they truly are (aren't
they Mr Pogson sir?) and like a true professional their intrepid leader Ray
Crosland never batted an eyelid when John Lister said he wanted 30 second
intervals between motors (Ray's had so many years of bending into low
rally cars that he wears a collar now, which is ironic as this event was one
of the few where he could look eyeball to eyeball with the drivers!) All
this praise for the David Brown despite the fact that Trevor Williams gave
me a duff time and had to be forcibly shown the error of his ways by
'mono-mitt' my new ace navigator for the do.

Dave Rae's 'Black Shadow' Range Rover led the way off the line at
the appointed time in a blaze of lights and dust;for the next 40 minutes at
precise 30 second intervals Land Rovers leapt off the line into the choking
dust storm on the first bend. (The mathematical ones among you will both
have deduced there were 80 entries'.) For at least 95% of those 80 entries
it was their first ever taste of competitive motoring at night (not counting
mad dashes down lovers lanes of course!) being off road makes it twice as
interesting! Even with eyes like the proverbial Khazi rat and lights like
Blackpool illuminations it's all too easy to misjudge the ground, but right
from run one, the leaders were clocking in very fast times, while a few of
the more cautious ones who still had a little sense left took it a little
steadier while they developed their 'night eyes'. To give the non-competi-
tive, head scratching majority of readers an idea of what it was like I will
give you a verbal tour of the first run in a Series 2 complete with a newly
volunteered, never been tried before, Gareth Almond in the left hand seat.

The start is by class so the 2'/4's are next to the last group away, but
at 30 second intervals the delay is minimal and the atmosphere round the
start area has to be felt to be believed. There is the constant scream of
engines and the strident 5-4-3-2-1 countdowns, up above on the moor top,
away from the blaze of the floodlamps, you could see lights sweep the sky
momentarily and then disappear only for another light to reappear at the
other end of the moor and it was only when you looked up like that you

realised what a beautiful starlit night we were blessed with. Now your group
starts to roll towards the 'start funnel' and suddenly it's time to get the
belts on and strap the brain bucket firmly in place so you can be passed
through into the start area, the adrenalin has started pumping as you do all
the final checks, in gear, handbrake off, plenty petrol, final word with navi-
gator to call corners and hazards but don't expect any response, and bingo!
you're away to the first curving uphill right hander now absolutely obscured
by a thick pall of dust. From then on it's just one continuous succession of
sensations as you try to see, feel and hear your way as fast as possible
across the ground as well as interpreting your navvies yelled instructions
(the car rally lads would have a fit if they heard Gareth, corners were graded
according to severity ie. left, hard left or Ca&£'l^+" hard left and one par-
ticularly steep drop, which the headlights made look like a drop into nothing
was labelled by Gareth as 'edge of the world'. I remember smiling as we shot
over the edge the first time, thinking I hope he's wrong!) Suddenly PANIC
as headlights come straight at you and you convince yourself that you've
somehow missed the course and are now going the wrong way down it.
RELIEF as the headlights veer away on a different part of the course com-
pletely. MYSTIFICATION as you pass through a pair of arrows showing
90 left and after what seems an eternity of full left lock there are still no
more arrows appearing in that white tunnel that is your sole focussing point.
SALVATION as a tiny glim of orange shows up many yards away. HEART
feeling as that little hummock you just took at full chat
turns out to be hiding the Grand Canyon at the other side. PRAYER of
thanks as you land on all 4 wheels the right way up! Off the moor and back
on the hard fast tracks down to the cabins, but the sensations aren't over
yet, the sphincter (look it up in a dictionary!) tightening as an innocent dip
in the track catapults you towards a real Mctree that looks as wide as a bus
and twice as hard. PUZZLEMENT as you realise you missed it, the sheer
unadulerated egoistical JOY of catching and passing another motor right on
the corner outside the cabins with swarms of spectators and all those tasty
foreign cabin inhabitants watching as you do the 'boy racer' bit and play
to the crowds with a blast of air horns and a shower of gravel as your hel-
met suddenly gets two sizes too small and you've got a grin like a randy
Cheshire Cat 'cos it all worked, and now the finish and the feeling of Comp
Safari interruptus as you slow down, narrowly missing the heroic Finish
Time marshal who gamely stands his ground and defies 30 cwt Landies to
hit him! Those lads are real heroes, no wonder they drink so much! The
best feeling of all?? That warm feeling you get when you know you've done
a good time, your navigator still trusts you enough to go again and you've
both just had the sort of enjoyment that money can't buy!

Back to the start, hand your card in and get back in the queue after a
quick check round at all the vital bits. The results service was, as always,
first class and within minutes you could see your time on the master sheet

and compare yourself with the oppo, there's nothing like knowing what
you've got to beat! and as we all know you can never trust the other guy
to tell you the truth about his time, motor etc!

After two runs the McGoblins struck and John Lister had to do a
hurried bit of course surgery, making the final night event into 2 runs at
the long track (about 4 miles) and 2 runs at the short course (about 2 miles)
making a total of 12 miles in the dark. Unknown to me at the time there
was quite a bit of mayhem going on out in the dark with motors doing
whoopsies all over the place, but particularly at Gareth's aptly described
'edge of the world' drop where several lads including Colin Birchall (serves
him right for winning the Trial!) did their motors a power of no good bob
sleighing on their roof. David Dodds of NERO had a flaming good time
when the engine compartment burst into flames and no-one seemed over
keen to use their expensive fire extinguishers putting it out (including him!),
one of the Scottish lads also had a barbequed bonnet before the night was
through. During all this hectic thrashing the 2 Diesel entries. Cliff Roberts
and Howard Leahy had worked out a plan to just go round steady at rough-
ly equal times so they didn't damage anything and then they could fight
the class prize out between them in the daylight, the crafty pair of sods!
George Carruthers went for the height of the night award with a wonder-
ful Bunny hop that saw him and his power train part company; while on
the subject of Bunnies a dead one appeared on the course during the night
and Neil Williams swore that he'd caught it in a fair race, eye witnesses how-
ever reported that the rabbit overtook him easily and only came to grief
when it tripped and fell! By 1-0 am the last of motors that were coming
back had done so in one way or another, the intrepid and brave marshals
(it was spooky up on that fell!) had returned, the David Brown lads went
off to count sheep instead of seconds, the results team (Anice and Andrea
Seed, Janet Reevell and Maggie Slingsby) finished the night's placings. The
lights were doused and the chill of the clear Scottish evening crept in as
hot machines ticked and cracked as they cooled down.

In the very early hours of the morning as dawn broke, the Clerks of
the course were up and about again altering the course for the day runs,
that was after John Lister had been up most of the previous night checking
that the arrows were correctly placed by actually driving the course and
altering it where necessary, lack of sleep was something most of the organi-
sers learnt to live with that weekend!

For the day's delight there were 5 runs at a 6 mile course, though the
number of entries was now down to around 65 after the night-time's toll
on vehicles. I think everyone felt the different atmosphere during the day,
somehow that expectant feeling was missing, though the competition got
even fiercer as the day wore on and the final placings were starting to take
shape on the results board. 1 must admit that life is a lot easier for every-
one in the daylight, but please can we have another night run next year???
(if not before??)

Keith Winduss did a neat line in rolling on his side, bouncing back up-
right on to 4 wheels and continuing, while Kevin Taylor had a bout of total
brain fade and reversed across the course into the flight path of Derek
Montford who duly hit him ..... hard! I wonder how much Kevin was
paid to do it?

A total of 40 odd miles for 80 entrants has got to be a big event by
anybodies standards, and the fact that it ran so smoothly has to be a tribute
to the people who organised it, and the people who then helped to run the
actual event. I hope all of you who entered and enjoyed the event will take
the trouble to make sure that these who ran it hear a little praise from you.
It's the only reward they want, try it, it works!

The prize giving was of course still to come at this time and gave the
opportunity for our Hon President Neil Millington to prove yet again how
adept he is at stalling while waiting for Keith Welters to turn up and present
the trophies. Keith had been a wonderful host and was certainly sincere
when he said he hoped we would return in 1982, and there's not many men
who would invite you mob back for another weekend in his front garden,
is there? I've been doing the results and trophies as I've gone along but I've
missed one of the best ones out deliberately. I refer of course to the Roch-
dale Brick, which is by now established as a yearly tradition, though every
year means more thought and ingenuity having to be exerted to surpass the
previous year's effort. We've had the 'Flying Brick', 'The Flying Welly', 'The
Broken Dream' and this year was the turn of 'Under the Influence', a minor
work of art consisting of a Land Rover passing beneath a flow of ale from a
Newcastle Brown bottle to a glass, hence the name. If a pile of bricks can
be bought as a work of art by the London Art Gallery then this must be a
masterpiece, crafted in deepest Rochdale by and as always won by the
Barmy Army with a score on the Trial that was aptly described as 'a lot',
good old Geoff Nunan, at least he stays faithful to the cause!

Every cloud has a silver lining, or so the saying goes and I don't think

anyone could have foreseen that the loss of Catterick could possibly have
resulted in an event of this calibre and style taking its place, everyone will
have their own opinion as to whether it was better than Catterick or not,
it was certainly as good but not by any accident, it was due to a lot of hard
physical graft by the people we loosely lump together as 'The Committee',
just as we very rarely give the proper credit to all the people who help on
the actual events, you know the phrase I use 'Thanks to all those people
who helped, too numerous to mention'. (Alan Seed was heard to remark to
his fellow marshals at prize giving after Neil had said that very phrase,
"That's us lads . . . too numerous to mention!) Well just as we pass you
lads off with that phrase so the committee members are passed off with the
lump phrase 'Committee'. Well the too numerous to mention and committee
are going to be named and if I miss anyone it's not through lack of trying
I can assure you.

As in last year's Catterick report I must make special mention of John Lister and Dave Hoskins, who laid out such excellent events, through the night where necessary too!

The committee were: Harry Haigh, John Lister, Dave Hoskins, Jim Burgess, Michael and Heather Chaloner, Dicky Day, George Cook, Malcolm Foreman and Steve Flatt.

Helpers too numerous to mention were: Christine Burgess, Andrew Mellor, Keith Mellor, Joy Holland, Sue Turner, Dennie Holmes, Philip Blackburn, Phill Whitaker, D. Dun.well, Chris Chesters, Dave West, Dave Lonsdale, Paul Delaware, Chris Crowder, Michael King, Russell Robinson, M. Jackson, Sue Hawkins, D. Hawkins, A. Rudd, Geoff Hirst, Norman Pomfret, Alan, Andrea and Anice Seed, Janet Reevell, Robin Dearden, Bill Dennis, W. Dennis,

Colin Howe, Maggie Slingsby, S. Hayward, I. Roberts, David Green, Neville Allwood, D. Carnell, Derek Jefferson, D. Sanderson, Jack Lye, Paul Dewhirst, Steve Parker, Sue Parker, Jonty Lye, S. Bramall, Robin Dearden, David Wood, Cliff Roberts, Tom Roberts, Lynn Day, Stuart Brown, Aubrey Oldham, Chris Simpson and last but not least Ron Whitham. They were the ones who signed on as marshals and officials and I know there were very many more people who helped out in so many small ways to help the event along .... A Sincere Thanks to all of you!




MSA and ARC club members are welcome to come along and join our events. Phone Mark on 07866 506521 / 01282 703718



Pennine Land Rover Club, Pennine LRC