Becca Turner Photography
Paul Inskip Photography
Louise Limb Photography
Shot In Digital
Other Club's Events


Organised by Gareth Almond, Michael Chaloner and Jim Burgess and
billed as a Novice and Ladies Trial.

The trip from Bradford to Whitworth via Halifax and Todmorden was
like a journey back in time, to match the older properties lining the route
the Trans Pennine run of the heavy vintage vehicle club was in progress with
everything from old Albions, Bedfords etc. to Munga's and a nice looking
L.R. 80" fire tender.

The event was under way when we arrived at 10.40. Some difficulty
had been experienced in obtaining marshals. It's a sad reflection on the large
number of regular competitors who rely on marshals throughout the year,
that when an event is organised at which a number of marshals can compete,
they do not turn up to help.

Some other difficulties had also been experienced, the events van had
been broken into during the night and a number of items stolen. In addition,
the marker pegs had been removed from 4 sections that had been laid out on
the Saturday.

The morning's competition consisted of six sections which were attacked
by 30 entrants, 7 of them ladies (one man said "That ain't no lady, that's ma
wife!") 2 L.W. Bases and 28 S.W. Base entrants - Wot! No Range Rovers!?

What little I saw of the event between the recovery of the majority of
motors from a mud ditch in section 2 seemed to be going smoothly. The mud
ditch could be and was traversed successfully by most motors until a blue
(fitting colour that) station wagon had to be extracted (minus exhaust system).
After this it required a bit more nerve, skill, luck, jam and right foot to get
through. Most of the cautious and light footed competitors became stuck,
some before they got to the bad bit. Christine Birchall had obviously been
taking lessons from her old man, when told to "give it some welly" she did
and nearly did a forward roll when the front end rammed the ditch side.
Fortunately Colin was nowhere to be seen.

Pete Baldwin made a major error when he gave Joy Holland, one of our
most regular marshals, a six instead of a clear. When the error of his ways was
pointed out to him, he did a quick imitation of a boot black with his tongue.
I think he was forgiven (watch the Weblo Trophy results).

The event was scheduled to start again at 1.30, at 1.15, 20 plus motors
were waiting to go at section 7. Since there was a lull in the rain which had
been persisting it down most of the morning, I upset Gareth by starting the
trial. During the afternoon several motors were being pushed and pulled
between sections because of starting problems. Gill Holland had a surprise
when she had stalled the motor on the side of a slope, she fell out and left
Dad, Brian, talking to himself.

Christine Burgess found that the effort of changing the wheels on her
own was worth it, she was first overall and won the George Cook Trophy.



Arrived Thursday evening, weather real, a quick look round the area
again to see the condition of land etc., it was O.K. anyway, whilst walking
cross country who did I see but John Lister and Dave Baxter, sussing out
for the Comp. Safari on Friday 27th August. John Lister, Dave Baxter, Kevin
Hudson and myself decided to set out the comp. course ready for Sunday Eve.
We loaded the Dave Baxter Sludge Boggling Rangy with sticks etc. and off we
went. A beautiful sunny day with plenty of walking and work ahead. We
thought get it marked out and we can have a relaxing day Saturday and Sun-
day, but not so.

Saturday was great for the Team Recovery set out by Brian Hartley, Bill
Leacock and Gareth Almond and very good it was too, so I heard. Saturday
the comp boys and myself were putting the finishing touches to the comp
run, plenty of stone etc, making roads safe and interesting for the night runs
on Sunday. We were very pleased with all the hard work we had put in to try
to make it a good 'do', but it wasn't to be — Sunday came and so did the rain,
the trials on the Sunday were very good to watch although it was per-sisting
it down, I did not hear any complaints myself anyway. The lads who set them
out, set them out on a nice, sunny day, but all the rain did for them was to
make it more interesting for the competitors, which is what it's all about -
enjoying yourselves.

After the trials, us comp boys set out again remarking and rerouting the
comp course ready for the evening runs. All the arrows were bent and soggy
and we had a right time with them, but on the night it was alright (I think!)

C.B. radio came into its own. It certainly saved me a lot of time and
petrol, my calls to all the marshals on C.B., placed very well by the chief
marshals, Michael Chaloner and Russell Robinson, went well. Night Rover
(Alan Seed), perched in a very good position, was first to see the action on
the field. As the night went by the weather was the same (per-sissing it down)
but boy did that red course see some action and the competitors were really

showing their skills. For those who weren't there, there were two courses at
night, a red and a green course, not many motors did many runs on the green
course, due to heavy rainfalls, the course had to close and so it was all put on
the red course. Action was plentiful for those who watched, the competitors
made the best of the weather conditions, with plenty of slides demolishing
sticks etc, on a muddy stretch behind the barn, there were Land Rovers
perched in trees along the route. A. 1 Glass came off the track and lost most
ofhisgears, Team Hexham lay resting on its side held up by the trees, but
safe from the 40 ft drop into the raging river below, the luckiest I think was
Team Pennine's Dave Hoskins, he left the track with nothing holding him
from dropping 40 ft but his hand-brake. (Good scrutineer is Dickymus Day!!)
Without a good hand-brake he would have lost his motor.

4.00am Monday morning, winch recovery ace Harry Haigh went into
action (after all the motors had finished tearing about) and winched out Team
Hexham and Dave Hoskins. Harry and Brian H. did a superb job on recovery,
one slip and bye bye to two Landies, mind you - there would have been some
good spares! A. 1 Glass got himself out and drove himself back to the site in
top gear only I was told. How many motors left the track on that stretch, I'd
like to know. I watched one motor go round with no front lights at all. My
buddy Kevin Hudson and myself were checking the course etc, when we heard
a bump, we ran back to where we thought it had happened and we saw head-
lamp beams getting closer, all of a sudden, the blind Land Rover set off again,
all we could think of was that the Land Rover without lights had bumped
into a gatepost and stayed there, until a pair of eyes shone up the route and
off it went again into the night. How he found his way round the course 1 do
not know, but well done to that driver because he did not baulk anyone and
he still went like heck and finished.

Anyway I'm sure someone else will write about Whithaugh events, telling
you their own version, probably making it better reading. My thanks anyway
to all competitors, marshals, committee, helpers, campers, caravanners, etc,
without all of you good people, these events would not work, many thanks

George Cook


MSA and ARC club members are welcome to come along and join our events. Phone Mark on 07866 506521 / 01282 703718



Pennine Land Rover Club, Pennine LRC