Becca Turner Photography
Paul Inskip Photography
Louise Limb Photography
Shot In Digital
Other Club's Events


After a week in which the weather was superb, I was envious of my work-
mates who had had the foresight to take their holidays. The prospects were
good for a fine day, but in reaching this conclusion I reckoned without real
Lancashire hospitality, the natives must have been rain dancing, or perhaps
George was practising for the Dinner Dance. But for the fact that we had
visitors from the south who had timed their visit to coincide with the event

I would have stayed in bed. My motor even passed scrutineering so I had no
excuses for not competing.

Michael Chaloner explained that there were 8 sections to be completed
before dinner time and 4 after, which would then be followed by a team

The first 2 or 3 sections were a bit tight, but most entrants seemed to be
enjoying themselves in the wet, slippy conditions. Many of the score sheets
would have pleased Geoff Boycott. Considering the climatic conditions the
sections were good and did not change much through the morning. On 1 or

2 sections I suffered for my reluctance to take off the hard top. Everyone
completed the sections in good time for lunch. During lunch I was surprised
that no motors were playing in the big puddle.

The lunch break must have done me some good because I cleared
2 sections, the 3rd started down a very greasy slope with a sharp left hand
turn at the bottom, most motors were sliding straight into the 10 peg, mine
was no exception, rolling my motor whilst marking out the trail at Whithaugh
was still fresh in my mind and I almost did it again.

The team recovery was entered by only 4 teams, it consisted of 2 uphill
pulls, none of the entrants came anywhere near driving up them, in fact all
had difficulty. Two teams retired from the 1st section, Colin Birchall with
another broken diff. Heath Smith entertained the spectators by playing foot-
ball with his crash helmet, I hope he does not have cause to regret it some day.
Because of a communications breakdown we did not see the second recovery

Thanks to George Cook and Michael Chaloner for organising the event.



Sunday 19th September. After a glorious week the "monsoon season"
starts, heavy rain and mist covers the Yorkshire and Lancashire fells. A quick
check of the Landie reveals a surplus of items not required for the day e.g.
sun glasses, sun cream etc. So we set off pausing en route to pick up
"volunteer" navigator Andy and Dave Cavell with "Don't blame me if you
hit a stick" Sue.

There then followed a high velocity Landrover trip down the M62 to
even worse weather - must be passing Windy Hill. On arriving at the trial field
we joined up with Gary Phillips removing his door tops either to let more
water in or to let it out after travelling down with the back rolled up.

After passing screwballing first time - Makes a change, eh Cav? and
parting with our hard earned pennies we were ready for off - and it had

stopped raining!

The second section we attempted was very impressive. A large hole in
the ground with the section running down in to it, across it and up and out
the other side. Quite a nerve racking start having watched the first two
motors slide down the grass bank bouncing from side to side oblivious to
their drivers' efforts to control them. Once down the steep bank the rest was
straight forward. Nice one George!

Waiting on the line at the next section we had trouble with one of the
spectators who, despite many shouts of "clear the course" and shouts from
others indicating that he would be run over, refused to move from the section.
In the end "Marshal" Jim had to forcibly carry him from the section! The
frog was later seen to be enjoying the event from a safe puddle in the next

With eight sections finished in the morning we started the remaining
four sections after lunch, just as good and as long as the morning ones, the
water hole proving a success with spectators and a difficult one for the

The team recovery later with four teams and three sections provided
good viewing for the spectators, but proved very frustrating for some teams,
especially Heath Smith, who gave a fine display of helmet throwing, receiving
eight points from the judges for "artistic interpretation".

The two other sections went very well providing a good end to a very
enjoyable day.

Thanks to Michael Chaloner, George Cook and all the marshals for a
great trial.

Russell Robinson


A NIGHT ON THE MOOR               by Dave (Wazzack) West

After a hard (yes hard) day's marshalling I arrived back at our cabin,
only to be greeted with "come and get stuck in and give us a hand". Bang
goes my winding down period before the night do, I thinks to myself. If by
any chance you didn't already know, Mr C & A had done a diff on his Rangey.
The diff (or a bit of it) had punctured a big hole in the axle casing, so whilst
Bossman and young Anthony Wood set about taking the busted diff out, it
was my job to go scrounging. First to fall to my charm was a young man
with welding gear - I can't for the life of me remember his name but he has a
blue Series 2 with a straight six engine. (Tim Denton. I used his gear as well
to replace the back beam on a motor which tried to pull me out of a bog. Ed)
Many thanks to him for the use of his gear, thanks also to Steve and Rod of
Carstuffs Yellow Peril for the loan of his spanners and gasket goo. (Sounds

like you forgot your Boy Scout training. Ed.) Incidentally Steve is leaving
our ranks and heading for Brum. So good luck to Steve and wife.

Right, space wasting over. Down to the nitty gritty. Carl was first away
on the red course with him having a Rangey (posh bugger). It was raining
hard, even with all the extra peepers (lights) it was still hard to see, you really
do need an extra pair of eyes on a night do, good job we had walked the
course earlier on; it does help you to know where the course goes so you can
re-connect yourself when you go off the course, especially on a night like this
when it was p---ing it down, muddy and slimy. I tell you it's a weird feeling
going full bore sideways uphill and down dale. People must think you're
demented when all they hear coming out of the motor is "Right! Right! Go
to your right!" and "I'm */(a)|& trying to!" By gum, the naughty words were
flying that night, and do you know it's not all that long since Carl never used
to swear, he even thought that oral sex was something you talked about (only
joking). He's a changed lad since he got that Rangey.

Anyway back to the Comp Safari, we finished our first run without any
trouble, however, our first run on the green course was to prove otherwise.
The motor coughed out on the first hill, apparently it was running out of fuel.
Carl had put a four barrel Holley carb on the Rangey on Friday, so the motor
wasn't tried out yet. The damn thing was supping more juice than the pump
could supply. We must have lost about I'/zmin through the trouble, this was
to be the start of our night of woe. Meanwhile they had closed the green
course so we had only 3 more runs to do on the red course. On our second
attempt at the red course we duffed out on the hill at the start, only this
time the motor would not start and we had to roll back down the hill. In
doing so we sort of got in the way of Bill Hewitson - sorry Bill, didn't mean
to get in the way, and to think he let us go first so that he wouldn't slow us
down! Carl eventually got the Rangey going and we put in a time of about
9'/2 min.

The third run was just as bad, the motor coughed out at exactly the
same place on the hill. I think Dave Baxter must have put a big magnet under-
ground to slow the Rangey down. Bossman got it going fairly sharp and we
were soon on our way into the darkness again on our travels. We spotted Al
Windscreens (Jim Hughes) parked sideways down a banking against a tree,
what we didn't know was that Dave Hoskins was on the other side of him and
had decided to go fishing with his Landie. I was later told that he was
balancing over the river's edge. We finished the run in about 5 min. 10 sec.

By this time Sir was getting slightly vexed (that's putting it mildly). We
lined up for our final run - the one and only had decided to gun the bo--- cks
off the motor up the hill and lo and behold it worked. We went up the hill a
treat. It was magic - me busy playing with wipers and washers whilst Carl was
trying his utmost to miss the gate posts. Incidentally we did manage to get
one on the way round on one of the day runs.

We were going great, just overtaken one motor, coming up on another,
when "yump" up in the air we went, windscreen splattered with mud, Carl
had found a bomb hole full of mud and water. The motor farted (sorry back-
fired) and stopped dead. Out with the Halogen handlamp and up with the
bonnet. Carl was busy with the magic spray whilst I held the bonnet and
lamp and just happened to pose for photos that Brian Hartley was busy
taking of our misfortune. Carl got the Rangey going rather quickly and we
didn't even have time to fasten our seat belts. The last run was finished with-
out any more trouble. Even with all the hassle with the motor and all that
unfrozen ice it was a good do.

John Lister and Dave Baxter deserve a lot of praise - they did a damn

good job under the circumstances which were no fault of their own. Thanks
to everyone who helped with the making of a successful event.

Well that's about it folks, I won't bore you any longer. If any of you
have any good piccies of Carl and I on either the day or night runs, please
could we borrow them to get copies made.




MSA and ARC club members are welcome to come along and join our events. Phone Mark on 07866 506521 / 01282 703718



Pennine Land Rover Club, Pennine LRC